The Physiotherapy team works in partnership with Michael Tippett staff to ensure that children with a physical disability reach their full potential.
Who are we: The Physiotherapy support and intervention for students at Michael Tippett school is provided by Evelina London Children’s Community Healthcare ( part of Guys and St. Thomas’ NHS foundation trust. The physiotherapists working within the school are specialist in the Physiotherapy management of children with complex needs.
What we do:
- Complete specialist assessments to identify the child’s physical abilities and strengths as well as the difficulties they experience. The physiotherapy assessment focuses on a child's postural, musculoskeletal and mobility needs.
- Provide personalised physiotherapy programme or advice to maintain/promote physical development and to manage the child's long term condition. The programme may include daily positioning in equipment to promote/maintain a child's level of function and mobility. This may also include advice on position changes for comfort.
- Carry out assessments for specialist equipment required to assist with sitting, standing, walking and laying to manage the child's physical needs
- Assessment in the school based orthotic clinic if required.
- Training and education for school staff to enable staff to have the skills and abilities to implement the child's individual physiotherapy programme.
- Provide support to school regarding moving and handling required to carry out a child's therapy programme.
- Monitor the child's progress. This includes reviewing and adjusting equipment as needed.
- Regular liaison with Multiagency Team including hospital based specialist services to ensure a co-ordinated approach to the child's care.
- Attendance/contribution to the annual health review for children known to the service.
- Contribution to a child’s Education Health Care Plan.
How to contact us: The Physiotherapist is generally in school every Tuesday. If you would like to contact them please speak to Haddy Kayada, Multi Agency Coordinator.
Please click on the link below to view our service:
Latisha Lewis, Specialist Paediatric Physiotherapist